Get Fit and Stay Healthy
The new, 81,709-square feet Recreation and Wellness Center opened its doors in August 2018 and features dozens of amenities for students, faculty, staff, retirees, alumni and community members. This Center is more than just a gym. It's a place where you can enhance and maintain your physical and mental health, challenge yourself and spend time with friends.
From rowing machines to fitness classes to educational workshops, the Recreation and Wellness Center is the perfect environment for self improvement and fun! Ready to get fit and stay healthy? Visit our Member Services to learn more.
Spring 2019 RecFest and Weeks of Welcome (WOW)
Thursday, January 24 from 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Attend any six events from the categories below and submit your stamp card for a chance to win one of our raffle prizes:
- Member Services RecFest events
- Fitness and Wellness RecFest events
- Recreational Sports RecFest events
All members are required to adhere to a dress code while in the Recreation and Wellness Center. Suitable and appropriate exercise clothing must be worn at all times while using the fitness amenities, including:
- Shirts must be worn at all times in all public areas.
- Upper body clothing should fully cover the chest and torso, with no open holes on the sides.
- Cropped tanks, halter tops, muscle tanks, and sports bras are not permitted as the only upper body shirt.
- Clothing that exposes skin below the pectoral line is not permitted.
- Shorts must cover the entire buttocks and groin when exercising or moving.
- Denim shorts or pants are not permitted.
- Bottoms with metal clasps, buckles or buttons or any other material that may damage equipment are not permitted.
- Non-marking athletic, closed-toed shoes must be worn in all activity areas.
- Shoes must be worn at all times unless specified for a specific program (yoga, etc.).
- Examples of prohibited shoes include (but are not limited to) cleats, sandals, stocking feet and hard-soled shoes
During your first visit and all subsequent visits to the Recreation and Wellness Center, please bring the following items:
- UHCL/member ID
- A break-resistant, spill-proof water bottle
Check in at the Welcome Center by swiping your ID. You can leave your belongings in a free day-use locker which are located throughout the facility and both men's and women's locker rooms. Instructions on how to use the day-use lockers are located on the inside of the door and posted throughout the facility.
The Recreation and Wellness Center is located on the north side of campus near the Middlebrook Drive and Bayou Road East intersection, near Entrance 3 and parking lot D. The facility is across from the new STEM building and next to the Residential Hall, which is under construction.
From the Bayou Building: Exit through the north entrance and walk through the Student Services and Classroom
From SSCB: Exit SSCB through the north sliding doors, follow the sidewalk toward Middlebrook Drive. Go past the little gazebo and the construction site on your right. The Center will be on your right; look for the building with blue and green glass and second floor terraces.
|Academic Side||Main Entrance Area||Recreation Side|
|Left of Main Entrance||Between Academic and Recreation||Right of Main Entrance|
9. Biomechanics lab
6. Welcome Center
1. MAC Gym
*Recreation areas require valid UHCL student or member ID.
|Academic Side||Recreation Side|
|19. Student terrace
21. Exercise and Health Science
22. Faculty terrace
|13. 1/8-mile track
14. Satellite Fitness Zone
15. Multi-purpose rooms
16. Administrative suite
18. Personal training studio
- Current UHCL students who have paid Student Services fees are automatically enrolled
- Non-student memberships, including UHCL faculty and staff, retirees, alumni, and the
community are available.
Sign up for a non-student memberships at
- Guest passes:
- Each member has two free guest passes per semester.
- Members may purchase additional guest day passes for $10/day/pass.
- Day passes can be purchased online through rwconnect.uhcl.edu.
- Learn more about being a Recreation and Wellness Center member
- Fitness zones with cardio, free weight, plate loaded, pin-select and olympic spaces.
- 2 regulation-sized basketball courts.
Courts can be converted to two volleyball or three badminton courts.
- Multi-activity court (MAC gym) with dasher walls and protective netting
for indoor soccer, floor hockey, basketball, volleyball and other activities.
- 2 multi-purpose rooms used for group fitness classes, meeting space or open recreation.
- 1/8-mile, elevated, 3-lane indoor track.
Located above multi-activity court and basketball courts.
- Semi-private personal training space.
- Stretching zone, cardio/strength space and two turf functional spaces.
- Men’s and women’s locker rooms.
- Social spaces and student work areas.
- Outdoor field spaces include the
- Recreation and Wellness Center's Backyard
(between the Recreation and Wellness Center and STEM building)
- Delta Complex with one large lit field, four tennis courts and two outdoor basketball courts
- Recreation and Wellness Center's Backyard
- Intramural sports are individual, dual and team sports.
Events range from single-day to multi-week tournaments.
Use IMLeagues to view and register for intramural sports. Make sure to specify UHCL as your school and use your UHCL email. Chrome browser recommended.
Visit Recreational Sports
- Sport Clubs are sports-based student organizations for soccer, rugby, volleyball, fusion dance, cricket, and the spirit squad.
- Biomechanics lab
- Exercise physiology lab
- Motor control lab
- 50- and 40-seat classrooms, group study rooms and faculty suite