Nicholas Kelling, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology,
College of Human Sciences and Humanities
Dr. Kelling received a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and an M.S. and Ph.D. in Engineering
Psychology from the Georgia Institute of Technology. He currently serves as the director
for the Human Factors Psychology Program at UHCL, an industry focused M.S. program
and one of the few terminal master’s programs accredited by the Human Factors and
Dr. Kelling’s research interests include the use of technology in environments where education and entertainment goals coexist, and the use of VR/XR/AR technologies for training psychomotor skills. In his research, he has collaborated with college athletics, computing companies, amusement parks, zoos and NASA.
Areas of Expertise
- Human factors and ergonomics
- VR/XR/AR user interfaces
- VR/XR/AR training
- Usability assessments
- Kelling, N.J., Kelling, A.S., Walther, C.P., Johnston, A., and Elkins, S. (2021). Keep Calm and Conceal Carry: Opinions about Campus Carry on a Non-Traditional University Campus in Texas. The Social Science Journal. https://doi.org/10.1080/03623319.2021.1908809
- Chapman-Lopez, T., Kelling, N. J., Arecemant, D. J., Amonette, W. E., & English, K. L. (2020). Effects of Virtual Reality During Rowing Ergometry on Metabolic and Performance Parameters. In International Journal of Exercise Science: Conference Proceedings (Vol. 2, No. 12, p. 96).
- Arcemant, D. J., Kelling, N. J., Chapman-Lopez, T., Amonette, W. E., & English, K. L. (2020). Effects of Virtual Reality During Rowing Ergometry on Presence, Perceived Exertion, and Exercise Enjoyment. In International Journal of Exercise Science: Conference Proceedings (Vol. 2, No. 12, p. 93).
- Malin, D. H., Hetherington, S. A., Nghiem, D. M., Ward, C. P., Kelling, N., Izygon, J. J., ... & Buras, W. R. (2019). Software for designing rigorous and replicable preclinical research: The Experimental Design Accelerator. Journal of neuroscience research, 97(9), 1043-1050.
- Kelling, A., Varma, S. G., & Kelling, N. J. (2019). A Multi-Faceted and Practical Analysis of Online Courses at UHCL. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 31(1), 128-138.
- Kelling, N. J., & Corso, G. M. (2018). The effect of spatial working memory capacity on ball flight perception. Journal of Human Sport & Exercise, 13(4).
- Kelling, N.J., Gaalema, D.E., & Kelling, A.S. (2014). A Modified Operational Sequence Methodology for Zoo Exhibit Design and Renovation: Conceptualizing Animals, Staff, and Visitors as Interdependent Coworkers. Zoo Biology, 33, 336-348.
- Kelling, N.J., Kelling, A.S., & Lennon, J.F. (2013). The Tweets that Killed a University: A Case Study Investigating the Use of Traditional and Social Media in the Closure of a State University. Computers in Human Behavior, 29, 2656-2664.
- Kelling, A.S., Dampier, S.M.A., Kelling, N.J., Sandhaus, E.A., & Maple, T.L. (2012) Lion, Ungulate, and Visitor Reactions to Playbacks of Lion Roars at Zoo Atlanta. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science, 15, 313-328.
Awards and Accomplishments
2020 University Faculty Fellowship Award