Angelica Tello, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Counseling and Field Experience Coordinator,
College of Education
Areas of Expertise
- College Students: First-generation college students
- Clinical Supervision: Bilingual counselor supervision
- Multicultural Counseling: Counseling with Latina/o clients
- Lonn, M. R., Tello, A. M., Duffey, T., Haberstroh, S. (2014). Relational-Cultural Theory as leadership pedagogy: Preparing doctoral students for the counselor education workforce. Journal of Counselor Leadership and Advocacy, 1(2), 140-151. doi:10.1080/2326716X.2014.954164
- Tello, A. M. (2015). Reclaiming my voice and finding a balance in academia: A journey towards advocacy. In F. Hernandez, E. Murakami, & G. Rodriguez (Eds.), Abriendo puertas, cerrando heridas (opening doors, closing wounds): Latinas/os finding a work-life balance in academia. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Tello, A. M. (2014, September). How I became a therapist, Therapy Today: British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, 25(7), 25.
Selected Scholarly Presentations
- Jones, B., Durodoye, B. A., & Tello, A. M. (2015). Say what? Effective cross-cultural communication in the therapeutic relationship. American Counseling Association Conference, Orlando, Florida.
- Lonn, M. R., & Tello, A. M. (2014). Empowering diverse emerging leaders: Encouraging leadership and advocacy. Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, Birmingham, Alabama.
- Tello, A. M., & Lonn, M. R. (2014). Beyond financial aid: Addressing the psychosocial and emotional needs of low-income first-generation college students. American College Counseling Association Conference, San Antonio, Texas.
- Akkurt, M. N., Tello, A. M., Dennis, B., & Kurt, Y. (2014). Needs and challenges of ethnic minority and international students in counseling and related programs: Implications for faculty members. International Association for Counselling Conference, Victoria, BC, Canada.
- Tello, A. M., Avent, J. R., & Robinson, F. (2014). Changes in positional power: Supporting graduate students and junior faculty in maintaining their social justice voice. American Counseling Association Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Tello, A. M., Martinez, C., & Trepal, H. (2014). Supervising bilingual counselors: Insights, challenges, and best practices. Texas Association for Counselor Education and Supervision MidWinter Conference, Austin, Texas.
- Tello, A. M. (2013). The first year: Helping first-generation students transition from high school to college. Texas Counseling Association Professional Growth Conference, San Antonio, Texas.
- Supporting the Psychosocial Experiences of First-Generation College Students
- Best Practices in Bilingual Counseling Supervision and Training
- Research Mentoring of Women Doctoral Students in Counselor Education
- Social Media Use in the Counseling Profession
- 2014 Educational Endowment Fund – Research Grant, Texas Counseling Association
- 2014 NBCC Minority Fellowship Supplemental Education Grant, National Board for Certified Counselors Foundation
Awards and Accomplishments
- 2015 Courtland C. Lee Multicultural Excellence Award from the American Counseling Association (ACA)
- 2015 Texas Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (TACES) Outstanding Doctoral Student Award
- 2013 National Board of Certified Counselors Minority Fellowship Program (NBCC MFP) Fellow
- 2013 Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES) Presidential Fellow
- 2012 Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (SACES) Emerging Leader Fellow