John Decman, Ed.D
Educational Management Program Coordinator, Associate Professor of Educational Leadership,
College of Education
Areas of Expertise
- School Improvement
- Administrator Induction
- Implications of Federal and State Policy on Administrative Practice
- Badgett, K., & Decman, J. (2019). Fostering inclusive culture through partnerships with nonprofits. School Leadership Review, 14(2). Retrieved from https://scholarworks.sfasu.edu/slr/vol14/iss2/2
- Decman, J.M., Badgett, K., Shaughnessy, B., Randall, A., Nixon, L., & Lemley, B. (2017). Organizational leadership through management: Superintendent perceptions. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, 46(6), 997-1013.
- Badgett, K., Decman, J., & Carman, C. (2014). The impact of teacher graduate degrees on student reading assessments. AASA Journal of Scholarship & Practice, 11(1), 4-19.
- McCarley, T., Peters, M., & Decman, J. (2014). Transformational leadership related to school climate: A multi-level analysis. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, 44(2), 322-342.
- Badgett, K., Decman, J., & Carman, C. (2013). The impact of teacher graduate degrees on student math assessments. National Forum of Teacher Education Journal, 23(3), 1-18.
- Decman, J., Badgett, K., Randall, A., Parmer, R., Coryatt, D., & Sanchez, J. (2010). Superintendent practices and ISLLC standard one. AASA Journal of Scholarship and Practice, 17(3), 16-36.
- Grigsby, B., Schumacher, G. Decman, J., & Simieou, F. (2010). A principal's dilemma: Manager or instructional leader. Academic Leadership Journal, 8(3). Available at https://scholars.fhsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1446&context=alj
- Simieou, F., Decman, J., Grigsby, B., & Schumacher, G. (2010). Lean on Me: Peer mentoring for novice principals. International Journal of Educational Leadership Preparation, 5(1). Available at http://www.ncpeapublications.org/attachments/article/56/m33854.pdf
- Decman, J.M., & Simieou, F, III. (2009). Review of selected dissertations addressing school public relations, administrator communication, and conflict resolution. Journal of School Public Relations, 29(4), 7-27.
- Mackey, B., Pitcher, S., & Decman, J. (2006). The influence of four elementary principals upon their schools reading programs and student reading scores, Education, 127(1), 39-55.
- Decman, J. (2005). Public relations in rapidly growing suburban school districts: Insights from Texas superintendents Bonny Cain and Doug Otto. Journal of School Public Relations, 26(3), 207-222.
- Decman, J., & Bauer, C. (2003). Student discipline and the sharing of records: FERPA, IDEA, and the duty to ensure safety. West's Education Law Reporter, 171(2), 407-414.
- Kowalski, T.J., & Decman, J.M. (2002). Short-term effects of state deregulation on the adequacy and equity of school facility projects. Educational Leadership Review, 3(1), 26-31.
Courses (Current Academic Year)
- ADSU 6030 Introduction to Educational Leadership
- ADSU 6132 Curriculum
- ADSU 6233 Principalship
- ADSU 6235 Administration of Special Programs
- ADSU 6237 Student Legal Matters
- ADSU 6333 Instructional Leadership
- ADSU 6436 School Resource Management
- ADSU 6437 School Law
- ADSU 6533 Appraisal of Teaching
- ADSU 6638 School-Community Relations
- ADSU 6735 Leadership Research Seminar
- ADSU 6739 Graduate Practicum
- EDLS 8030 Organizational Leadership
- EDLS 8330 Human Resources Management
- Principal induction
Awards and Accomplishments
- 2019 Educator of the Year Award, Texas Council of Professors of Educational Administration
- Nominated for the Minnie Piper Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Houston-Clear Lake