COVID-19 Info : Mask Up, Vax Up, Get Tested, Self-Report


The College of Education offers an extensive choice of specialized graduate and undergraduate plans. Our degree plans allow you to custom-tailor your course of study; this flexibility gives you a host of options when it comes to contemplating your career. Many graduates of the CoE find employment in a variety of educational settings. Others pursue careers in industry, government, independent practice, or consulting. The State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC)/Texas Education Agency (TEA) fully approves the College of Education plans. 

Teacher Certification

To become a certified teacher in Texas, you must have the following:

  • A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
  • Completed teacher training through an approved program. Visit the academics page.
  • Successful completion of the appropriate teacher certification tests for the subject and grade level you wish to teach. For a list of the certification tests and information on which tests are required, visit the State Assessments page.

University of Houston-Clear Lake offers teaching certification training options for both undergraduate students and those who already hold a bachelor's degree.

College of Education Degrees and Programs

Additional Certification

Post-Degree and Graduate Level Teacher Certification

If you already hold at least a bachelor’s degree, then you may seek initial teacher certification through either of two sets of programs. Students seeking their initial teacher certification while they pursue a master's degree can follow a graduate level teacher certification program. Students not pursuing a master's can follow a post-baccalaureate teacher certification program. The program considers students working toward a second bachelor's degree to be post-baccalaureate students.

Alternative Certification Program (ACP)

The UHCL College of Education offers the Alternative Certification Program in cooperation with local school districts. This training program allows teaching certificate candidates who have earned a bachelor's degree to work as full-time teachers while they complete their certification.

Advanced Certifications

At the University of Houston-Clear Lake, students may pursue the following advance certifications which require a master's degree: Principal, Reading Specialist, School Counselor, School Librarian, or Superintendent. These certifications require the following:

  • A master's degree from an approved accredited institution
  • Completion of the UHCL certification program
  • Two years of full-time "teacher of record" teaching experience in an approved, accredited school
  • A valid Texas teaching certificate
  • Successful completion of the appropriate TExES state assessment
  • For Superintendent certification, one must hold a valid Standard Principal certificate

UHCL offers programs that include a master's degree with one of the certifications (excluding Superintendent) and programs that include the certification only for those who already hold a master's degree. The Superintendent certificate is offered within a doctoral degree or as certification only for those who already hold a master's degree.

Supplemental Certificates

A supplemental certificate is an area of concentration added to an existing state certificate. A supplemental certificate gives educators the ability to teach the supplemental subject at whatever grade level(s) or area(s) in which they hold certificates.

Advising Assistance

Direct all questions about educator certification options to the College of Education Advising Center at 281-283-3600 or This office also:

  • Assists in processing admission into the college
  • Advises candidates about educator degree and certification plans, and courses
  • Prepares degree and certification plans
  • Audits for student teaching, internships, practica and graduation

Certification Assistance

Direct all questions about educator certification policies and regulations to the Office of Educator Certification at 281-283-3618 or This office maintains all official certification records for the college and:

  • Approves applications for admission to the Teacher Education Program
  • Audits the Master’s Comprehensive Examination, and graduation
  • Prepares deficiency plans
  • Recommends candidates for educator certificates
  • Tracks and reports Title II and TEA data


  • College of Education Advising Center

    Phone: 281-283-3600

    Bayou Building 1231
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 188
    Houston, TX 77058-1002